Thursday, November 22, 2007

Perceptions

I've recently been involved in a discussion about Jon and Kate Plus 8. It has been interesting to hear the different opinions about this family. Some people say they are so "real" and that is refreshing for a reality show. :S Others cannot stand how Kate is a control freak and snipes at Jon constantly. Some agree her behavior is over the top but excuse her because she has 8 children. Jon needs some backbone to stand up for himself are other opinions. I wonder how people in this discussion are perceiving each other by the answers they are giving. I wonder how many of those defending Kate are like her. I wonder how many against her are unlike her or maybe want to be unlike her.

Then my mind goes on to think of how people would perceive my own marriage. Would they say that the Hero needs a backbone, that I am a doormat, that I snipe, that either of us is a control freak, that he is a jacker, etc? Would they think we have a good marriage or a rocky one? I think of how we behave around others. We both have a sarcastic sense of humor, could that be perceived the wrong way by those looking in? I tease the Hero that no one else would put up with him and he agrees with me. We banter back and forth. Does that look like dishonor or disrespect to strangers or to those that know us? Do we really care what it looks like? We have come such a long way in our relationship and we truly have a fantastic marriage. I wonder if that is the witness we give to the world. I wonder all these things and then the Hero comes home from fire practice the other night saying that they all seem to think we have the perfect relationship. I ask why they think that and he says "I guess because I never talk badly about you. The fact that I work from home and we spent so much time together yet we can still have fun and stand each other." So I guess our witness is solid despite our sarcastic humor and crazy banter.

When we know love matters more than anything, and we know that nothing else REALLY matters, we move into the state of surrender. Surrender does not diminish our power, it enhances it. ~Sara Paddison

1 comment:

  1. You are two of my favourite married people. :)

    ReplyDelete