Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Life Lessons

dis·cern·ment (dĭ-sûrn'mənt, -zûrn'-) n.
The act or process of exhibiting keen insight and good judgment.
Keenness of insight and judgment.

trust (trŭst) n.
Firm reliance on the integrity, ability, or character of a person or thing.
Custody; care.
Something committed into the care of another; charge.

so·ci·o·path /ˈsoʊsiəˌpæθ, ˈsoʊʃi-/
–noun Psychiatry.
a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

Thanks for the vocabulary lesson right? lol I'm thankful that my discernment has made me cautious to trust people and saved me and my children from being directly affected by the behaviors of a sociopath. Thankfully the Hero also listens to my discernment and has kept this loon out of his "circle of trust". I'm sad for the damage he has inflicted upon his family and others but very thankful that he has always been kept at arms length from ours.

However, this has made me take a step back and re-evaluate relationships. I was just starting to feel like it was ok to take that leap and trust, to be able to lean on others a bit and to let people into our lives. I'm trying not to retreat all the way back behind the stone wall but I'm finding it a bit of a personal struggle. My family has been hurt enough by the acts of others, including our own set of nutjobs that are related by blood. I think we will keep the moat and only let the drawbridge down with much caution. Call me Momma Lion, crazy paranoid or whatever you may....

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

3 comments:

  1. mamma lion, protect your cubs - it is your God given right. as for trust, i believe it must be earned. and fyi, i love vocab lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. rwwaaarrrr....I hear you Mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a wonderful Mamma Lion! I'm just sorry that someone has required the need the reevaluate. It's so hard to put our foot over that imaginary line we draw, and so much harder when someone causes us to take a step back.

    ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

    ~ Cyn <3

    ReplyDelete