Wednesday, August 27, 2008

WORD Wednesday

I've subscribed to a daily devotion from Proverbs 31 Ministries and they have been such a blessing to me. Today's hit me right between the eyes and I thought it was a great post to share.

Worthy Words
Sharon Sloan – She Speaks Graduate

“…if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be My spokesperson.”
Jeremiah 15:19 (NIV)

Devotion:
Worthy words. Wow. In this passage of scripture, God was urging Jeremiah to repent so that God could restore him and thus he could serve God again. This particular verse of God’s spoken word to Jeremiah really penetrated my heart as I read it recently. Worthy, valuable, precious words. Words that honor Him and words that are encouraging, founded in His truth and love. He gives words their worth.

Our God allows us to be His spokesperson. How humbling. In His wisdom, He requires that, in order to be His spokesperson, our words must be worthy, not worthless. The King James Version says “precious” words. What an excellent, ageless standard He sets for us to maintain as His children in order that we could be His spokesperson. A spokesperson is someone who represents you and your character well. As this verse resonates in my heart, I ask myself, “Are my words worthy and precious? Am I representing God well and with excellence? Am I allowing Him to mold me so I reflect His character? Am I keeping the bar raised to His standard such that I may be His spokesperson?”

In our home, our rule has been that our words should be based in truth, spoken in love, necessary and kind. Add to this that they must be worthy and precious. How often do I utter words that are worthless and hold no value for anyone? Oh, how I think of the words I have wasted. If my words hold value and worth, they will reflect His character and minister His truth and grace to those around me. If I keep His standards and utter only worthy and precious words, He allows me to represent Him and be His spokesperson. What an awesome privilege and responsibility.

As you go through each day, allow your words, whether they be written, spoken or thought, to go through His filter of requiring worthy, precious words. If those around you have lowered the bar, raise it again to His standard. Humbly meet the challenge to utter only worthy words that represent Him well. You may be His spokesperson.

Faithful Father, by Your grace and in Your faithfulness, allow my words to be worthy and precious. May they be worthy such that I may be Your spokesperson and represent you with excellence. Thank You for Your standards and for Your promises. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Application Steps:
Memorize Jeremiah 15:19 and use it as a standard for your words, whether written, spoken or thought.

Devote time each morning to seeking His face, soaking in His perfect written Word, and filling your heart with His love and desires for you.

Allow the Holy Spirit to control your heart and mind and, therefore, your speech.

Today I'm going to be meditating on these questions in Reflections. I ask you to join me. I know I've been really dropping the ball lately in some areas of my life. Being frustrated with children, dealing with chronic pain, a mixed up town and extended family stress does not bring out the best in me. I pray that I might write these words upon my heart and learn to guard my thoughts and words in a way that is glorifying to Him and befitting to my own heart. ~Ker

Reflections:
Are my words worthy and precious?

Am I living to His standard such that I qualify to be His spokesperson?

Power Verses:
“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14 (NIV)

“The mouth of the righteous is a fountain of life…” Proverbs 10:11 (NIV)

“The lips of the righteous nourish many…” Proverbs 10:21

“Let your conversation always be full of grace, seasoned with salt…” Col. 4:6 (NIV)

“…the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace…” Romans 8:6


Please go and check it out in it's entirety at Proverbs 31 Daily Devotions.

Have a blessed day dear ones!!

No comments:

Post a Comment